Monday, December 7, 2009

I really love Christmas

Christmas is a very special time of year for my family. Not only is it a time for us to remember our savior it is a time for family memories. While I was putting up the tree I started to reflect on all of our past Christmases. I thought about how the kids would fight the whole time they decorated the tree but the only thing they remember was the fun we had. I thought about our first Christmas and how broke we were. All we had was $100 for presents for three kids. We went to the dollar store and spent it all on the kids. They had so much fun opening all the presents. I thought about how well the kids decorated the tree. They placed every ornament so well. I only had to rearrange the ornaments a little. We had to have a special dinner the night we decorated too. Steve planned dinner. Clod cuts platter, rolls, egg nog and something sweet. It was not always perfect but it was what our family tried to do and we succeeded enough times to make a lasting memories in the lives of our children.

I love our Christmas tree. Every ornament holds a special meaning or memory.



The Angel. I made her our first year as a family



Steve and I found these antique ornaments our first year as a family




I made this ornament when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade.





My sisters, brother and I painted these ornaments one year. Mom bought a kit and we worked on these for several days. Mom always had an art project for us to work on.


 
 
My favorite ones were the wise men. I painted them too.
 

My grandma Scott made these just before she passed away. She always kept busy doing something.

My kids gave this one to me one year. I loved getting stuff like this. I collect snow men and Santa's. Made me cry.

Some of the other gifts I have received from friends and family.


Every year the kids got a new ornament. I had them choose what type of ornament and I would search every year for the perfect one. MyKelle chose an Angel. Raini chose a Reindeer and Colter chose Santa. When they move(d) out they took all of their ornaments with them and that way they have ornaments for their first tree. MyKelle and Raini no longer live at home so I put an ornament on the tree so I can have them near my heart this time of year.

 
 
We have a lot of ornaments on the tree but each and every one of them represent a lot of love. This brings so much joy to my heart.


2 comments:

Bethany said...

I was driving in your neighborhood just the other night and I saw a beautiful tree in someone's window that made me slow down and then I realized it was your house.

Beckums said...

I loved that most, it made me think of so many Christmas memories of my own, Thanks Dawn!